MIA: Female Krib
For the past 2 days I haven’t been able to find the female krib! It’s really quite strange and at first I thought perhaps she was hiding in the cave with another spawning attempt. However, last night, I lifted up all the pieces of driftwood expecting to see her swim out, but that was not the case. Perhaps she will surprise me and show up in a couple of days.
With the female, mother krib being gone, the male krib has really stepped up and protecting the little fry. He protects the cave entrance, chases away the cherry barbs and julii cats, and keeps his little ones safe.
On a side note, I have noticed an increase of surface film in conjunction with some white fungus like growth on the backside of the driftwood. After a bit of investigation, I think it may be due to a lack of circulation and as such, I’ve increased the flowrate on my Eheim 2026. The barbs and hatchet fish really seem to like swimming in the current and I am already noticing some of the fungal growth subsiding.
Additionally, I have cut back the photo period by an hour and added some watersprite to the mix to suck up some of the excess nutrients in the water column. In retrospect, I should have left in some of the amazon sword plants, but they were just growing too big to keep in my 37 gallon tank.
To assist with the surface film, I ordered and have received a surface extractor/skimmer which can be connected to the intake of my canister filter. In the interim, I have just been scooping out the protein film with a cup. Not too shabby, but not something I want to do all the time.